Sunday, November 20, 2011

Start prepping for spring!

Start saving your: 

  • Egg Cartons
  • Toilet Rolls
  • Paper Towel Rolls
  • Paper Coffee Cups



My sister and I decided to start both of our gardens this year from seeds. It's cheaper than buying plants and will be fun to watch.

Many people start their seedlings with starter kits. These kits are plastic bins that create a small green house. They include little peat pots that you initially plant your seeds in before transferring them to your garden. After reading many reviews on these peat pots I have come to the conclusion that they may not be all they are cracked up to be. I have decided to go with a more non traditional route with recycled containers. I will be using egg cartons, toilet and paper towel rolls, and old coffee cups to start my plants. I got the idea for this method from several gardening books and websites I have been reading.

Egg Cartons: 
The spaces intended for eggs in egg cartons are the perfect size for sprouting your seeds. They are about the same size as peat pots and are free.


Toilet Rolls: This is another great space to start your plants. According to Grow Great Grub by Gayla Trail,  toilet rolls "... are especially great for starting beans and sunflower seeds which dislike having their roots disturbed during transplanting."


Coffee Cups:
My dad likes to start his cuttings off in the paper cups he saves from Starbucks. They are sturdy containers for your larger seedlings. I plan to use these for tomato, squash, and melons.

In February we will start our seedlings. So get collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment